Always know the locations of fire extinguishers, fire exits and manual pull stations in your area and how to use them.
What to Do In the Event of a Fire
When a fire exists, immediately pull the closest fire alarm manual pull station and notify College Police at 5555 from a campus phone. Cell phone users should dial the emergency phone at 281-476-9128.
- Ensure evacuation procedures are followed by all building occupants.
- Building marshals should be the last occupants to leave the building to ensure everyone has exited the building.
- If you have received proper hands-on training and the fire is small, contained, and extinguishable within 15 seconds, activate the closest fire extinguisher and direct the charge towards the base of the flames.
- Larger, uncontrollable fires should not be approached.
- Complete and submit Safety/Incident Report and provide the information requested by college police at the scene.
- Close all doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen. DO NOT LOCK DOORS!
NOTE: Should you become trapped inside a building during a fire and a window is available, place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window as a marker for rescue crews. If no window is in the room, stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency crews of your location, and DO NOT PANIC!
- If a fire exists on campus grounds, do not evacuate the building and immediately notify College Police at 5555 from a campus phone, 281-476-9128 from a cell phone.
In the event an explosion occurs on campus, take the following action:
- After the effects of the explosion have subsided, immediately notify College Police at 5555 from a campus phone, 281-476-9128 from a cell phone.
- If warranted, activate the manual pull station and follow evacuation procedures.
Fire extinguishers are labeled for the type and size of fire that they can extinguish. There are four basic classes of fires:
The fire extinguisher must be of the appropriate type for the fire it is to be used on. If you use the wrong type of extinguisher, you can endanger yourself and make the fire worse. To make choosing extinguishers easier, most extinguishers on campus are multi-purpose ABC and may be used on most fires.
Using Fire Extinguishers
- Call for help
- Choose the proper fire extinguisher
- Pull the pin
- Aim nozzle at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle
- Sweep the nozzle back and fort