The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance surrounding the annual budget process for San Jacinto College (College).
The College shall produce a budget annually that conforms to the requirements of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and that meets the standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The Chancellor shall serve as the budget officer for the College.
The budget officer's duties shall include:
- Responsibility for the preparation of a budget covering estimated revenue and proposed expenditures of the College for the following year.
- Maintenance of proper records and responsibility to file copies of all budgets and all other budget related reports with the proper authorities at the proper times.
Deputy Budget Officer
The Chancellor shall designate the Vice Chancellor of Fiscal Affairs as the deputy budget officer. The deputy budget officer shall assist in professional and technical aspects of the budget preparation.
Minimum Budget Requirements
In accordance with Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Rule 13.45, the annual budgets shall:
- Include general revenue, local funds, and estimated institutional funds;
- Include detail by department for current and prior year;
- Include a summary by functional categories for current and prior year;
- Include a summary of the instructional budget for the current and preceding year;
- Include a summary by amount and method of finance for each listed informational item in the general appropriation act; and
- Be prepared within the limits of revenue available.
Availability of Proposed Budget
The proposed budget will be available online with the Board Agenda for the regular or special Board meeting where the budget will be considered. Public comments may be made during the public comment section of the appropriate meeting, after following the directions to sign up.
The Board shall adopt a budget on or before August 31 annually during a scheduled regular or special meeting, allowing for citizen comment through the normal process.
The adopted budget provides authority to expend funds for the purposes indicated and in accordance with state law, Board policy, and the College’s approved purchasing procedures. The expenditure of funds shall be under the direction of the Chancellor or designee who shall ensure that funds are expended in accordance with the adopted budget.
Copies of each annual budget shall be furnished to the THECB, the Legislative Budget Board, the Governor’s Budget and Planning Office, and the Legislative Reference Library by December 1 of each year. Annual budgets are provided to other related parties as required.
Copies shall be maintained in the College libraries and on the College website.
No public funds of the College may be spent in any manner other than as provided for in the budget adopted by the Board. The College shall not lend its credit or gratuitously grant public money or things of value in aid of any individual, association, or corporation.
The College shall not grant any extra compensation, fee, or allowance to a public officer, agent, servant, or contractor after service has been rendered or a contract entered into and performed in whole or in part. Nor shall the College pay or authorize the payment of any claim against the College under any agreement or contract made without authority of law.
Commitment of Current Revenue
A contract for the acquisition, including lease, of real or personal property is a commitment of the College's current revenue only, provided the contract contains either or both of the following provisions:
- The continuing right of the Board to terminate the contract at the expiration of each budget period during the term of the contract.
- Is conditioned on a best effort attempt by the Board to obtain and appropriate funds for payment of the contract.
The Board may amend the budget at any time during the fiscal year. The Chancellor or designee shall develop procedures for budget amendments.
The Authority, Applicability, Sanctions, Exclusions, and Interpretation do not differ from Policy II.2000.A, Policy and Procedures Development, Review, Revision, and Rescission.
Procedure III.3001.E.a, Budget Preparation
Date of Board Approval
March 1, 2021
March 2, 2021
Vice Chancellor, Fiscal Affairs