Veteran Services




Wednesdays, 4pm, via Zoom


Welcome to San Jacinto College Veteran Services.

Whether you have used your educational benefits before or are new to higher education, our office is here to assist you.

Veteran Centers at North, South, and Central Campuses are open during normal working hours for support and are a resource area specifically for veterans and their dependents. Each office has a School Certifying Official (SCO) to assist you with questions about educational planning and certification. Veteran Services offers in-person and online advising with online certification requests and documents uploaded via the Certification Request Form tab.

You can reach an SCO on campus or remotely by clicking on the  "Schedule A Virtual Appointment" below.

                                                                                Schedule Virtual Advising   

Do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions to or 281-998-6150 x1366.

Thank you for choosing San Jacinto College, Your Goals. Your College.

The Joint Services Transcript (JST) provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans. It serves as an aid in preparing resumes and explaining Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard and Navy work experience to civilian employers and schools. It also saves time and money by awarding academic credits, which means less tuition to pay and less time spent in the classroom. When you complete a military school or training, you may earn college credit hours toward your degree. You MUST submit your official JST transcript to San Jacinto College for evaluation of credits in your degree plan. The JST will show the date you completed AIT, OCS or BOLC.

Click here to obtain your JST.

Best Practices:

  1. You must have a student log in to SOS (student ID# required) to submit a certification request.
  2. Go to the certification tab and use your SOS log in credentials
  3. Submit all required documents in one submission
  4. Submit a request every semester
  5. Register early for classes 
  6. Request certification early
  7. Submit changes to your registration immediately
  8. Check your balances in SOS for fees and tuition not covered by benefits.

For a quick and easy experience, VA highly recommends using text message verification. When your enrollment is processed by VA, you will receive a text message from VA to opt into text message verification.

Reply “YES” to opt-in. You will receive a text confirming you have opted in.

  • The text message link will expire in 14 days. After that, you will be automatically enrolled in email verification.

If you reply “NO” or cannot receive texts, you will be automatically enrolled in email verification.


Text: On the last day of each month, you will receive a text message requesting enrollment verification for that month.

Reply “YES” to verify your enrollment.

  • If you don’t reply within 6 days, the conversation will close and you will need to call the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to verify your enrollment.

If your enrollment status has changed, reply “NO.” Please contact your School Certifying Official (SCO) to ensure your enrollment record with VA has been adjusted.

Email: If you opted out of text messages and/or have enrolled in email verification, on the last day of each month, you will receive an email requesting enrollment verification for that month.

Select “Yes, my enrollment is the same” to verify your enrollment.

  • If you don’t select a response within 14 days, the conversation will close and you will need to call the ECC to verify your enrollment.

If your enrollment status has changed, select “No, my enrollment has changed.”

Please contact your SCO to ensure your enrollment record with VA has been adjusted.


If you verify enrollment each month and still qualify to receive MHA and/or kicker benefits, your payments will continue uninterrupted.

****If you fail to verify for two consecutive months, your MHA and/or kicker will be placed on hold. You will need to call the ECC to verify your enrollment and have your payments released.***

Enrollment Verification

San Jacinto College understands that our military students may need to take a leave of absence or suspend their studies to perform military duties. In the event that a military student is temporarily unable to attend classes, San Jacinto College has adopted a readmissions process that ensures a timely yet seamless return for service members. In accordance with federal regulations, 34 C.F.R. 668.18 and the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), San Jacinto College will promptly readmit service members who seek readmission to a program that was interrupted due to a uniformed service obligation in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserve, active duty, active duty for training or full-time National Guard (under federal authority).


Student Notification Responsibility

Notification of military service: The student must provide oral or written notice (preferred) of service to the Veterans Services Office as far in advance as reasonably possible, unless precluded by military necessity.  This notice does not need to indicate when the student will return to the college.

Notification of intent to return: The student must also provide oral or written notice (preferred) of intent to return to San Jacinto College within three years upon completion of their service period.  Immediately upon the student's return to the College, the student must provide notice that he/she may be entitled to the tuition and enrollment benefits outlined in this policy.


Tuition and Fees

A returning student must be charged the same tuition and fees in effect during the last academic year the student attended unless veteran’s education benefits or other service member education benefits will pay the amount in excess. For subsequent academic years, the returning student may not be charged tuition and fees in excess of what other students in the program are charged.

A student receiving Veterans Educational Benefits should contact the Veteran Services Office to complete required documentation upon return to the college.


Readmission Requirements

A student who is called to active duty in the United States Armed Forces or the National Guard or Reserve for a period of more than 30 days is entitled to reenroll in the same program, with the same enrollment status, number of credits, and academic standing as when he or she was last in attendance at San Jacinto College. This does not include the National Guard under state authority.

The returning student will also be permitted to reenroll in the next semester scheduled unless the student requests a later date of reenrollment or agrees to a different program. If the College determines that a returning student is not prepared to resume the program or is unable to complete the program, the College will make all reasonable efforts to enable the student to resume or complete the program at no additional cost to the student. If such efforts are unsuccessful or place an undue hardship on the College, the College is not required to readmit the student.

In accordance with federal regulations, returning students who receive a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge from the Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Reserves) are not eligible for readmission under this statement. However, service members who receive dishonorable or bad conduct discharge may remain eligible for readmission even though they will not be entitled to the benefits outlined in this statement.