How to Identify your Institution’s CSA’s

“Campus Security Authority” is a Clery Act- specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with an institution.

  • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution. If your institution has a campus police or security department, all individuals who work for that department are campus security authorities.
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department. Include individuals such as those who provide security at a campus parking kiosk, monitor access into a campus facility, act as event security, such as for sporting events or large, registered parties, or escort students around campus after dark (including other students).
  • Any individual or organization specified in institutions or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses. If you direct the campus community to report criminal incidents to anyone or any organization in addition to police or security-related personnel, that individual or organization is a campus security authority.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for students and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings. The official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.

Examples of Individual (outside of a police or security department) who generally meet the criteria for being campus security authorities include

  • A dean of students who oversees student housing, a student center or student extracurricular activities;
  • A director of athletics, all athletic coaches (including part-time employee and graduate assistants);
  • A faculty advisor to a student group;
  • A student resident advisor or assistant;
  • A student who monitors access to dormitories or buildings that are owned by recognized student organizations;
  • A coordinator of Greek affairs
  • A Title IX coordinator;
  • An ombudsperson (including student ombudspersons);
  • The director of a campus health or counseling center;
  • Victim advocates or others who is responsible for providing victims with advocacy services, such as assisting with housing relocation, disciplinary action or court cases, etc.;
  • Members of a sexual assault response team (SART) or other sexual assault advocates and
  • Officers from local law enforcement who are contracted by the institution to provide campus safety-related services.
  • Physicians in a campus health center;
  • Counselors, including peer counselors (except for professional or pastoral counselors; and
  • Health educators, including peer health educators.