Sexual assault can take many different forms, but one thing remains the same: it’s never the victim’s fault.
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Some forms of sexual assault include:
- Penetration of the victim’s body, also known as rape
- Attempted rape
- Forcing a victim to perform sexual acts
- Fondling or unwanted sexual touching
- Someone watching or photographing you in sexual situations
- Someone exposing his or her body to you
San Jacinto College does not tolerate sexual assault in any form. There are faculty and staff at San Jacinto College to support you if you have been sexually assaulted.
If you think you have been assaulted, we encourage you to take the following steps:
Get to a safe place and call someone.
- This can be the police, counselor, educational planner, and/or someone you trust like a friend, advisor, or member of Student Life.
Do not wash, shower, bathe, or change cloths prior to a medical exam or treatment.
- This may destroy evidence that can be used to press charges if you choose to do so.
- Before your medical exam or treatment, you can bring a change of clothing to the hospital or clinic to wear after the exam
- Keep evidence of emails, text messages, or phone messages, and do not delete or change them.
- If you cannot report immediately, place all cloths/garments in a paper bag. If you have physical injuries, take photographs before cleansing or treating the wound(s)/bruise(s).
Call 911 and get to a safe place.
- It’s important to get medical attention for any injuries, as well as address pregnancy issues and STDs.
- Campus personnel can assist you with obtaining transportation to a hospital or clinic, a police department, or other location.
- For a trained volunteer to help you through the hospital process, call the Rape Crises Hotline: 713-528-7273
- You don’t have to cope with sexual assault alone. You can call the Educational Planning and Counseling office at any of the three SJC campuses.
- Central Campus 281-998-6150 ext. 1014
- North Campus 281-998-6150 ext. 2317
- South Campus 281-998-6150 ext. 3444
- Rape Crises Hotline: 713-528-7273
|Sexual Assault Resources|
National Sexual Violence Resource Center
Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network
Houston Area Women’s Center
Rape Crises Hotline: 713-528-7273
Domestic Violence Hotline: 713-528-2121
The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
24-Hour Hotline: 713-473-2801
National Center for Victims of Crime
Bay Area Turning Point, Inc.
24-Hour Hotline: 281-386-2525